When your child is done with the school day, you don’t want them to just plop in front of the TV or play video games for hours on end. Your child will benefit greatly from enriching programs that keep minds engaged and foster fitness.
At Strelitz International Academy, we share this philosophy. We believe that young children need enrichment and after-school activities that keep them active in healthy ways. After all, healthy students are better learners.
By providing physical activity opportunities for our students during and after school, as well as offering enrichment activities in music, art, and more, we feel we are addressing the whole child and helping each student become a well-rounded, confident, and empowered individual.
Benefits of After-School Activities
Every parent wants their children to not only do well at school, but also discover interests that feed their mental, physical, social, spiritual, and emotional sides. Educators at Strelitz want the same, and this is why we offer a range of enrichment and after-school activities kids enjoy so much they don’t even realize they’re learning.
The benefits of young students participating in age-appropriate, inclusive after-school activities are many. They include:
- Better attention span in the classroom
- Improved cognitive skills
- Opportunities for students to explore their potential and expand their minds
- Increased social and emotional learning
- Improved academic performance
- Greater learning opportunities in a safe, supportive environment
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), benefits of school-based physical activity include less risk of developing depression, improved mood, better heart health, and healthier weight levels.
Enrichment activities can make learning more fun. They reinforce what the educators are teaching throughout the week.
Many enrichment and after-school activities can also serve as an outlet for kids with a genuine need to expend more energy, try new things, spend more time with peers, or have the freedom to discover at their own pace.
With caring, supportive staff overseeing these enrichment programs, young students have the guidance they need in a safe environment that invites them to explore the world they live in.
Activities for Younger School-Age Children at the Academy
Here at Strelitz, we offer a number of activities children can participate in to help them feel more confident and capable wherever they go, including in the classroom, at home, and in the community.
Enrichment activities are provided to young students enrolled in our program. These are some of the enrichment and after-school activities we offer.
- Aquatics: Weekly swimming activities during the school day help kids stay fit while developing coordination and motor skills. Individual swimming lessons are also offered after school on campus through the Simon Family JCC.
- Physical activity: Our teams know how to make exercising fun for youngsters by adding variety and turning fitness into playtime. Students have access to our state of the art Gym and expansive outdoor playground.
- Outside play: Students have the opportunity to run and play in a safe, supervised environment, either outside in age-appropriate playgrounds or indoors in our gym.
- Music: A local professional musician regularly leads music circles for our students. Our music program helps children build their language skills and develop improved memory.
- Library time: We love books, and we share this love of reading with our students through visits to our school library, which helps build strong literacy in readers and pre-readers alike.
- Specialty activities: Our resource teachers create themed learning enrichment experiences that are exciting and educational.
- Art: We help children explore and understand the world around them through a variety of art projects that help them tap into their creativity.
- Cooking: Age-appropriate kitchen tasks teach children how to prepare snacks that are tasty and healthy in our school cooking center. Many of the recipes are made using ingredients from our school garden.
- Hebrew language enrichment:All are welcome at our school, and we love sharing our school’s cultural heritage through Hebrew language enrichment activities.
- Science exploration:Young children have so many questions, and they love to learn how the world works. Through age-appropriate science exploration activities, we help them study, observe, and learn via scientific methods.
We also partner with JCC afterschool activities for additional fitness and enrichment opportunities, such as yoga and self-defense, which rotate seasonally.
Be sure to explore everything Strelitz International Academy has to offer for your child and your family, particularly if you’ve been asking yourself, “What are the best private elementary schools near me?” We believe that when you visit us, you will see a high level of quality in all we do.
Our educators are experienced in working effectively with young children, and they know how to make learning fun and engaging for different ages and attention spans.
As a private IB elementary school, Strelitz offers expanded opportunities for students who are ready for a more challenging learning experience. Ask us about what we offer as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School.