Discovering the best IB program elementary school near Norfolk
Every parent wants the best education available for their children. Many times, parents find that private schools can provide a broader canvas on which their children can learn and thrive, helping them to better understand the world around them and how to navigate it.
At Strelitz International Academy, we’re a member of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools, and we take that mission very seriously, by offering an exceptional learning experience for your child as an International Baccalaureate (IB®) Primary Years Programme (PYP) candidate school, which utilizes an inquiry-based educational program. The International Baccalaureate (IB®) is an international, non-profit educational program that takes the process several steps further by providing a foundation of building critical thinking skills. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is one part of this educational process, targeting students aged 3-12 years old.
The Primary Years Programme is a transformative experience for students, teachers, and whole school communities. IB® primary school near Norfolk students learn how to take control of their learning while teachers collaborate with them to deepen their learning experience and build their confidence and motivation. The whole school community, including parents, are viewed as partners in the holistic learning process.
Our IB® program elementary school close to Norfolk is guided by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, the PYP helps students broaden their learning by developing conceptual understanding and strengthening their knowledge across and beyond a broad range of subject areas. The programme aims to help students develop the skills, knowledge, and attitude they need to excel in both their studies, as well as their own personal growth.
The six transdisciplinary themes of global significance include:
Who we are: A study on what it means to be human from the standpoint of:
- Looking into the nature of ourselves to understand what we believe and value.
- Taking stock of our health on a physical, mental, and spiritual level.
- Identifying our relationships with friends, family, the communities in which we live, and how all that relates to our culture.
- Understanding our rights and responsibilities to ourselves and others.
Where we are in place and time: Examining our orientation in place and time including:
- Our own personal and family history.
- The discoveries and explorations of humankind.
- Distinguishing our relationships between how we connect as individuals to other civilizations from a local and global perspective.
How we express ourselves: Understanding how our conscious, subconscious and unconscious minds shape:
- How we discover and express ideas, feelings, nature, culture, as well as our beliefs and values.
- How we reflect on and enjoy our own creativity as well as that of others.
- How and why we appreciate aesthetics.
How the world works: Finding our place and part in the world by examining:
- The interaction between the natural world and human societies.
- How we use our understanding of scientific principles, and the impact scientific and technological advances have on ourselves as well as the environment.
How we organize ourselves: Identifying our systems and procedures to understand:
- The function of organizations.
- Individual and societal decision making.
- The impact our economic activities have on humankind and the environment.
Sharing the planet: Understanding our place in the world through:
- Responsibilities and rights.
- Sharing finite resources with humans and other living things.
- Our relationships within our communities.
- Access to equal opportunities.
- Conflicts, conflict resolutions, and peace.
Ready to learn more about why Strelitz International Academy is one of the best private elementary schools available near Norfolk? Looking for a faith-based school that operates as a Jewish day school near Norfolk? Give us a call at 757-424-4327 so we can schedule a tour of our campus.
As a VAIS school, we invite you and your child to come visit our campus, to see the environment, meet with educators, and talk with administrators about your expectations and questions. We’d love to tell you more about our IB® PYP program and how affordable a quality private school nearby Norfolk area can be.
To schedule your visit, give us a call at 757-424-4327.