International Baccalaureate® Primary Years Programme (IB® PYP) World School
Strelitz International Academy is an International Baccalaureate (IB)® World School for the Primary Years Programme. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
The IB® PYP Programme:
- Promotes student agency through an inquiry-based approach so learning can thrive in the classroom and beyond.
- Provides the framework of knowledge, concepts, skills, attitudes, and actions that develop the whole child to be a lifelong learner.
- Utilizes globally significant transdisciplinary themes to guide deeper learning.
- Cultivates educators who are dedicated and passionate through unique professional development experiences.
- Highlights the significance of global connections and the translation of best practices in the classroom to inspire student engagement and instill a love of learning.
The Strelitz International Academy PYP Student
IB® Learner Profile: Learner attributes that share a global commonality and goals that promotes positive relationships and humanitarian respect. Our students acquire the skills to encourage curiosity and the skills necessary to not only discover answers to their questions through research but to take action within local and global communities.
Our students strive to be:
The Strelitz International Academy Educator
Central to our international baccalaureate curriculum is the framework of transdisciplinary themes, guiding our teachers to provide an integrated learning model across all disciplines. Using specially designed Scope and Sequence, our teachers develop a curriculum that naturally builds on student experiences. The SIA Faculty participates in professional development and specific IB® training to bring innovative learning opportunities that ignite student learning and inspire action through the framework of inquiry. Our teachers share their passion for education with our students through exciting and engaging learning opportunities that focus on the strengths of the individual learner.
The IB® Transdisciplinary Themes:
- Who we are.
- Where we are in place and time.
- How we express ourselves.
- How the world works.
- How we organize ourselves.
- Sharing the planet.
The Strelitz International Academy School Community
The IB® PYP framework reaches beyond the walls of the classroom. As students are taught to be inquirers, our young scholars begin to realize that much of what is learned in the classroom is a reflection of how the world works. Parent support is encouraged in helping to develop community interests and participation. Community experts are invited to share their knowledge and experience with our students. With strong support and commitment from the greater community, our students build on their interests and strengths and develop a confident sense of self as they discover their place in the world.
SIA Students Taking Action
The IB® Programme is designed to empower students to be active citizens within local and global communities. Our students have planned and participated in various activities. These include but are not limited to :
- Annual food drives to support the Jewish Family Service Food Pantry
- SGA fundraisers to support various community efforts and charities
- Designing an outdoor learning environment
- Planning and maintenance of school garden
- Research on the use and careless disposal of plastics
- Connecting with students in other parts of the world through virtual learning opportunities
- Discovering the impact and importance of the work of National Geographic Explorer, Gretchen Johnson. Our student interest and support were recognized by National Geographic Explorer and our students were surprised by a visit from a National Geographic representative and Gretchen Johnson.
- Lynnhaven River Now Pearl School achievements
- Elizabeth River Star Students
This work/product/service has been developed independently from and is not endorsed by the International Baccalaureate® Organization. International Baccalaureate®, Baccalauréat International, Bachillerato Internacional, and IB® are registered trademarks owned by the International Baccalaureate® Organization.