When considering whether to enroll your child in a private school versus sending them to a public institution, there are a number of factors that may help you decide. For one, most private schools have a significantly lower ratio of teachers to students, so your child can receive more individualized instruction and additional help if needed. For another, private schools are not bound by standardized curriculums or teaching methods, so students often learn different ways of learning that can better prepare them for the future and navigate the world around them.
In fact, because of the quality of education received at a private school, graduates are better equipped to deal with college life and go on to graduate. Data published by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and Gallup suggests private school graduates have better long-term outcomes when going on to college. Some of their finding show:
- – Eighty-five percent of NAIS graduates enrolled in college immediately following high school, compared with 69% of public-school graduates.
- – Almost 100 percent of NAIS graduates went on to college, with more than 50 percent of them attending some of the most selective schools in the United States.
- – NAIS graduates outperform public school graduates in seeking out experiential learning and extracurricular activities, including:
- ~ Participating in research with a faculty member
- ~ Holding a leadership position in a club or organization
- ~ Participating in intramural sports
- ~ Being a member of a fraternity or sorority
- ~ Working on projects lasting more than one semester
At Strelitz International Academy, our curriculum and teaching methods are based on the International Baccalaureate (IB®) program. IB schools provide an inquiry-based agenda versus a standardized curriculum found in most public schools. Private IB® schools that serve Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and other surrounding areas seek to develop the student as a whole, both in academics and personal development, creating more well-rounded, globally conscious individuals who are ready to take on the world.
Strelitz International Academy provides the IB® Primary Years Programme (PYP) to our 3- to 12-year-old elementary school students. We believe our smaller class sizes, unique curriculum, and exemplary teacher, staff, and administrators will put your child on the path to a lifelong love of learning and pursuit of educational excellence.